What can I do if I have wetlands on my property?
First, you might call the Inland Wetlands Office (203-245-5632) or visit the Land Use Office in the Town Hall at 8 Campus Drive, to look at maps of your property to see how the wetlands are mapped.

Second, you might talk with the Inland Wetlands Enforcement Officer about what is "Regulated" by the Inland Wetland Regulations as a "Regulated Activity." A "Regulated Activity" means any operation within or use affecting a wetland or watercourse by obstruction, by construction, by alteration, by removal or deposition of material or by pollution of such wetlands, whether or not they appear on the Official Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Map of the Town of Madison.

Some activities require an Inland Wetland Boundary Clarification to be approved by the Inland Wetland Agency, before you can proceed with obtaining a Regulated Activity Permit.

Some regulated activities can be approved by the Inland Wetlands Enforcement Officer, and others are approved by the Inland Wetlands Agency.

Show All Answers

1. Is there a difference between coastal wetlands and inland wetlands? I thought wetlands were all the same kind?
2. How do I know if I have wetlands on my property?
3. Why are wetlands important?
4. What are inland wetlands?
5. I have a backyard that doesn't look "wet." Can I extend my lawn or put in a "playscape" for my kids in that area?
6. What can I do if I have wetlands on my property?
7. Can I look at maps of projects that might be proposed in my neighborhood or in town?
8. Can I dig a pond to drain the marshy areas in my yard to give me more dry lawn?
9. How often does the Inland Wetlands Agency meet?
10. I'm interested in learning more about wetlands. Where can I get more information?
11. I have no wetlands on my property, but my neighbor has some. How does this affect me?
12. Are inland wetlands just "junk" land or is there any benefit I can gain from the wetlands on my property?
13. Example of a Clear Cutting violation.