Atlantic hurricane season usually peaks in August but can last through November. Before a storm strikes, make sure you and your family are prepared:
- Build an emergency kit with essential items you and your family will need for at least 72 hours.
- Charge your mobile phone and have a supplemental accessory battery to recharge it. Add any key numbers you might need during a potential power outage to your phone’s contact list.
- Stay as far away as possible from fallen tree limbs and downed electrical wires, as well as anything they are touching. Notify local fire, police and Eversource about downed power lines.
- If you do lose power, unplug your appliances to reduce the likelihood of a power surge when electricity returns.
- Download the Eversource mobile app from the App Store or Google Play and make it a part of your storm preparation kit to check on outages and restoration times.
We’re always working to improve our system, including making significant investments in automated switching to reroute power during outages and restore as many customers as possible more quickly than before.
See storm preparation checklist >
Information provided by Eversource