Tax Return Assistance
For Immediate Release
January 6, 2016
Get Free Help with Your Tax Return
Certified counselors working through AARP Tax-Aide, a free program, will provide income tax preparation assistance for low and moderate income taxpayers, especially those 60 and older. Taxpayers MUST bring copies of their 2017 tax return.
Madison: Taxes will be prepared by appointment only on Tuesdays from 10:00 to 3:00 PM beginning February 5 at the Madison Senior Center, 29 Bradley Road. Call 203-245-5627 for an appointment beginning January 15th.
If married, both husband and wife should be present during an income tax counseling session. Please bring all documents you have received that apply to your 2015 income taxes including:
- Copy of last year’s income tax return (2017).
- Social Security or Individual Taxpayer ID numbers for all household members and your photo ID.
- A voided check with routing number for direct deposit of refund.
- Record of any estimated taxes paid in 2018.
- All documents that relate to deductible expenses, including receipts or records for charitable contributions.
- All 2018 income reporting forms that have been received:
- SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement and
- RRB-1099-R, US Railroad Retirement Board forms.
- All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-G, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV, 1099-R, 1099-B, 1099-S, 1099-MISC).
- W-2, Wage and Tax Statement forms.
- Statement of any state tax refunds.
- W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings forms.
- 1099 G, Unemployment compensation statements
- Original cost of assets sold during 2015.
- Affordable Health Care Act –Bring evidence of health care coverage or exemption if under 65
Note: Taxpayers holding accounts with brokerage firms and other investment companies should schedule their appointment beginning in March as these statements are frequently corrected and re-issued.AARP Tax-Aide is a program of the AARP Foundation, offered in conjunction with the IRS.