New Elementary School Building Committee
Following approval by referendum on February 15, 2022 of the Madison School Renewal Plan, the Madison Board of Selectmen (BOS) shall establish a building committee for the design and construction of a new elementary school on Mungertown Road (the ”New School Project”). This committee (“School Building Committee”) shall consist of voters of the Town of Madison who serve at the pleasure of the BOS. The School Building Committee shall exercise the responsibilities and duties outlined in this charge approved by the BOS.
It is anticipated that the School Building Committee will, without limitation:
- Coordinate with the Owner’s Representative Project Manager (OPM) which has been selected and approved by the BOS.
- Assist the OPM with applications to the State Department of Administrative Services Office of School Construction Grants & Review.
- Work with the OPM to assist in the creation of the construction bid package and in the determination of a list of eligible bidders to be invited to bid.
- Select the Architect and/or engineering firms to develop and design the new school facility plans through a public Request for Proposal process that adheres to all Town bid policies and procedures. This includes structural plans, site work, grading and drainage, professional estimating service, drawings and specifications, preparation of bid documents and contract documents, evaluation of bids and appropriate bonding and insurance provisions. The Building Committee, in coordination with the Town Attorney, shall negotiate a contract to be entered into by the Town and said firm(s), subject to approval of the BOS.
- Review design documents to evaluate, refine and update cost estimates and verify that the plans fulfill the purpose of the New School Project in a reasonable manner.
- Evaluate all construction bids received and pursue any required bid clarifications.
- Meet with the OPM, Architect, General Contractor, or Construction Manager, as needed. The School Building Committee shall approve the final plans, specifications, bid documents and contract documents for the New School Project.
- Require the OPM, Architect or other relevant professionals to make regular reports to the School Building Committee, to permit monitoring of the status of construction and change orders, and to keep the School Building Committee up-to-date on all material developments.
- Authorize the start of construction of the New School Project
- Verify that all required permits are in place and verify compliance with all local, state, and federal laws.
- Monitor the construction process of the New School Project, including meetings with the OPM, Architect, project manager, construction contractor, subcontractors, and/or any other necessary parties.
- Coordinate communication between the School Building Committee, the Board of Selectmen and Board of Education to keep all parties up-to-date on developments.
- Consider and act promptly on change orders, making certain that any increase in the cost involved in any change order is within the amount appropriated for the New School Project.
- Monitor the preparation by the architect of a list of items (punch list) which are not fully completed or which require further attention when the architect has certified that the New School Project is substantially complete. The School Building Committee shall make certain that such items are completed properly.
- Review the certification of compliance by the Architect that construction has been completed in compliance with contract documents and review the list of items that are not yet satisfactorily completed.
- Review, approve and refer to the Town for payment, invoices with respect to the implementation of the New School Project.
- Determine whether funds should be withheld from any payment request pending completion of any unfinished work or for any other appropriate reason, and approve the release of such funds when appropriate.
- Upon completion of the project, the School Building Committee shall make a complete report to the BOS.
Members of the School Building Committee will serve at the pleasure of the BOS and establish rules for governance of the Committee, subject to the following provisions:
- The BOS will appoint a Chair and Vice Chair
- The necessary quorum to conduct regular business shall be 60% of Committee members
- In the event of a tie vote regarding regular Committee business, the Chair will be empowered to break the tie.
- School Building Committee is authorized to establish subcommittees (the "Subcommittees"), to designate the Chair and Vice Chair of each Subcommittee, and to fill all vacancies on the Subcommittees. The members of each Subcommittee shall be members of the School Building Committee. The School Building Committee shall determine the duties and responsibilities of each Subcommittee.
- Necessary expenses of the School Building Committee shall be included in the cost of the New School Project. The records of the School Building Committee shall be filed with the Madison Town Clerk and shall be made available for public inspection in a manner consistent with the requirements of the State of Connecticut Freedom of Information laws.
The Committee shall consist of:
- (7) seven Members of the Public to be appointed by the BOS. It is preferable that members have a knowledge of construction, engineering, educational facilities, design, architecture, and/or finance.
- (2) two Alternate members. An Alternate will be selected by the Chair to fill any absence of a full member at a meeting. When seated, an Alternate has the authority to vote as a full member.
- Non-voting Liaison members, including: (1) one member of the Board of Selectmen, (1) one member of the Board of Finance, (2) two members of the Board of Education, the Superintendent of Schools, and the Director of Facilities.