Summer Support Groups
2021 Summer Support Groups: July 19th -August 27th 2021
Click on the name of each group below for additional details and registration forms.
The Zones of Regulation
The Zones of Regulation is an evidence-based curriculum designed to teach children to identify their feelings and levels of alertness using four concrete, color coded zones. This system provides a foundation of expressive language, helps develop effective regulation tools, helps determine how to problem solve positive solutions, and helps children understand how their behavior influences others’ thoughts & feelings.
- Pre-K: Zones of Regulation Group for Preschool Children, Mondays (12:00-1:00pm)
- Grades K-3: Zones of Regulation Group for Grades K-3, Tuesdays (1:30-2:30pm)
- Grades 4-5: Zones of Regulation Group for Grades 4 & 5, Wednesdays (1:30-2:30pm)
- Parents: Zones of Regulation Skills Group for Parents via Zoom, Thursdays (1:30-2:30pm)
SOCIABLES Together We Play: Social Skills Group
The goal of MYFS Sociables: Together We Play group is to help kids learn and practice social skills. Social skills are an important part of a child’s development and success. Social skills will be taught through collaborative art work, games, and storytelling. The skills taught will help kids to look at “size of the problem”, body and spatial awareness, working together, and conflict resolution
- Grades K-3: Sociables Social Skills Group for Grades K-3, Mondays (1:30-2:30pm)
- Grades 4-5: Sociables Social Skills Group for Grades 4 & 5, Tuesdays (12:00-1:00pm)
SOCIABLES Teen Group
Successful social functioning is important for teens to demonstrate at school, at home, and in the community. Those with Autism Spectrum Disorder struggle to generalize across these settings and often get stuck in novel situations. The primary goals of this group are to teach teens how to decode social situations and develop a repertoire of appropriate responses in accordance with social rules across various settings. Curriculum will be based on the works of Michelle Garcia Winner (Thinking About YOU Thinking About ME), James Loomis (Staying In The Game), Brenda Smith Myles, Melissa Trautman, and Ronda Schelvan (The Hidden Curriculum: Practical Solutions for Understanding Social Situations).
- Grades 6-8: Sociables Social Skills Group for Grades 6-8, Wednesdays (12:00-1:00pm)
- Grades 9-12: Sociables Social Skills Group for Grades 9-12, Thursdays (12:00-1:00pm)
For registration information call MYFS at (203) 245-5645. We are in network with all major insurance providers! No one will be turned away due to their inability to pay.